Why is our town called Jewell (Junction)?
The War of 1812 helped to make Jewell Junction possible. Grants of 160 acres were given soldiers to help encourage settlers to come and settle west of the Mississippi River. A grant was given to William Winslow, a physician of Maine. He sold this grant of land to a Cornelius Haden in 1856 for less than $1.00 per acre. There were settlers along the Skunk River in 1855 and along the Boone River in the 1840s. Between the two rivers was little but prairie and timber. David T. Jewell bought this grant and brought his family to this area by wagon in 1877.
The narrow gauge railroad (three feet between the rails), the Des Moines and Minnesota Railroad had been built north from Ames in 1877, with the expectation that it would extend to Alden. Instead, it stopped near the corner of the four Hamilton townships (Ellsworth, Scott, Lyon, and Lincoln), where the railroad crossed the Skunk River. At that spot, the boom town of Callanan was started, but it lasted only three years.
About Callanan, the early settlement before Jewell started.
During 1880, the Toledo and Northwestern Railroad built a westward rail line from Tama City on its mainline, aimed at Minnesota and the Black Hills. It passed through this vicinity and on to Webster City in December. In late 1880 and early 1881, the Toledo and Northwestern Railroad continued their line north and began a second line west towards Sioux City on the Missouri River. Where those two rail lines met, the new town gained the name, Jewell Junction.
A mini-history of Jewell.
By 1882, the Toledo & Northwestern Railroad bought out the narrow gauge Des Moines and Minnesota Railroad and converted it to a standard gauge (four feet eight and a half inches) line. That rail line north of Ames had passed through Gilbert, Story City, Randall, and had terminated at Callanan. The portion of the line that crossed the South Skunk River to enter Callanan was abandoned and rerouted to Jewell Junction. The Toledo & Northwestern soon became known as the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad.
About Jewell being a Railroad town.
The town of Jewell Junction was laid out at this junction, and was named for David T. Jewell. It was created in Section 28-87-24 by the real estate division of the railroad, the Western Town Lot Company. This same company platted the towns of Ellsworth, Randall, Stanhope, Stratford and Kamrar.
The north-south streets in the original plat were First (a curved street), Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth Streets. The east-west streets were Lyon, Main, Rienhart, and Idaho Streets. Main Street was later changed to Jewell Street. As the town prospered, the name of the town was simply known as Jewell, though to today the legal name remains Jewell Junction.
The post office was established on December 27, 1880. The post office was located about 40 rods south of the depot. Mrs. Laura E. Cooper served as the first of 14 postmasters during Jewell's first 100 years. The post office was never called Jewell Junction. John Foster served as the first rural mail carrier starting in 1903. The five digit zip code for Jewell was introduced on July 1, 1963.
The Jewell Telephone Company was started in 1902 by about 30 businessmen. Frank Snyder served as president. Within three years, the number of subscribers had grown to 125. In 1905 the Jewell and Ellsworth Telephone Company was created.
One of the store buildings was moved from Callanan during the winter of 1881-1882. The reason buildings were moved in the winter was because they could be more easily put on skids and pulled by teams over the frozen ground. (This was true of so many buildings that were removed from the settlements of Lakins' Grove, Callanan, Hook's Point, and other towns that failed to attract a railroad.) This building was placed along Main Street. The first school was held in the rented back room, with William Anderson serving as the teacher. The next year, a school district was organized and the school was moved to a different building south of the railroad tracks. Anderson was the only teacher for one year. In 1883 Howard Smith was added to the school staff. By 1890, a whole block was purchased and a two-story brick structure was built. Two years later a four-year high school program was added. In 1905 an addition was constructed on both ends of the school.
This building took care of the school needs for another 20 years.
Once upon a time, Jewell was home to a college.
- - - - -
Jewell had the first college in Hamilton County. It was established in Jewell in 1893 by the Jewell Lutheran College Association. The majority of the members of this association were Scandinavian Lutherans from the surrounding counties. In 1897 it became apparent that larger support was needed for the school, so the college and all of its proerty was transferred to the Iowa District of the Hague Synod, under whose management the college grew and progressed.
In 1902 a ladies' dormitory was constructed, but a year later the main college building burned, killing two students, Julius Peterson and Burton Millang. In February of 1904 it was decided to build a new Main Hall.
Because many Lutheran Colleges had been established in Iowa and the declining enrollment made it harder to pay bills, it was decided to close Jewell Lutheran College in 1925. The college property was purchased by the Jewell School District.
This ad was published in the Ellsworth News on July 22, 1964.
At least nine churches have served Jewell over the years.
Congregational Church…1884… Main Street at the present UCC site
Methodist Church...1883... NE corner of King and Deckor Street, one block west of grocery
Our Saviors Lutheran: Danish . . . at 225 Main Street, west side, two lots south of the Park across from Casey’s. Mark Oswald and his family lived there in the current house.
Assembly of God . . . started as a Tent church, then moved the old Federated Church building to the corner of Park and Main, just west of Casey’s. It is now an apartment. The parsonage was just west.
Good Shepherd Catholic Church . . . 1899 church on west side of Hoffman Street, just north of Harriet Erickson’s house. Hoffman is now part of Collins Street when it was pushed through from Edwards to Anderson and on to Johnson. The Catholic Church then occupied the former Christian Church at the NE corner of Edwards and Deckor. The new church building was built there in 1972.
Immanuel Lutheran (Lutheran Brethren) . . . A 1951 basement church and parsonage next door east at corner of Deckor and Park. Above ground wood frame church moved on to basement from North St. Petri site two miles east and one north of Randall in 1956. Now the home for the Jewell History Museum.
Victory Church . . . took over the Immanuel Lutheran building at Deckor and Park. A new church was built at the corner of East Lane and Anderson Street around 2014, and uses the former nursing home as their activity and learning center.
This 1910 Postcard view of Deckor
Street in Jewell shows the Jewell Christian Church.
1951 listing of coming shows to be seen at the Strand Theatre in Jewell
News report on May 8, 1913 - Northwestern is contemplating building a two stall round house in Jewell. Trains 30 and 31 from Jewell to Tama lay over in Jewell and a round house is needed to house their engines nights.
and a town of Jewell and Randall in the state of Kansas? And there is also a Kansas county named Jewell.
County Historical Society (Kansas)
David Jewell's town sat in the northwest part of today's town of Jewell. The original Main Street is now called Jewell. There was no unclaimed land just waiting for the buyers, because it was already owned by early Hamilton County settlers. These were the speculators or holders of military grants for service in the War of 1912, the Mexican American War, or even the Civil War. Originally, Jewell Junction consisted of hastily thrown together sheds and shanties that either lined the east-west Main Street or sat to the north or south along Second, Third or Fourth streets. That original town began because there was a railroad to pierce the area, and with it the potential for profit and settlement.
David Jewell platted the new town in 1880. Business lots were 25 feet wide by 130 feet deep, and sold for $100 each. Residential lots were 50 feet wide, and sold for $25. The town was ready for the railroad. In the agreement made by David Jewell with the Toledo and North Western Railroad on June 11, 1880, land necessary for a depot, sidings, switches, shops, roundhouse, stockyards and land necessary to form a junction would be made available. By December 1880, the Toledo and North Western had completed a line from Tama to Webster City, and started a second line west to upcoming Stanhope and Stratford; thus the junction.
By 1900, David Jewell's portion of town was practically deserted. Often referred to as Dog Town, the northwest corner of Jewell has seen a recent revival, especially since the centennial year of 1981 with a number of new homes built in the original Jewell. Reinhart Street even had to be reopened to accommodate several new houses.
Although his map of 1918 shows the Jewell city park at the most southern edge of town, today there are homes south of that park. The Jewell city limit has now been extended to the county road that meets the southern edge of the Jewell Municipal Cemetery. So there are many newer homes south of the pool and park.
Jewell was once in walking distance from several lakes.
Besides having Little Wall
Lake several miles south, Jewell long ago had two nearby lakes.
This 1930 map showing the southern portion of Lyon Township indicates where the lakes were located.
News report on May 11, 1933 - The Standard Oil Co. service station in Jewell led the way in a reduction in gasoline prices announced here Monday. Ethyl was cut 3.1 cents to 15.6; Red Crown was cut 2.6 cents to 13.1; and Stanolind was cut 4 cents to 12.1 cents a gallon, these prices including the 4 cent tax.