A building that was formerly a store in the settlement of Callanan was moved during the winter of 1881-1882 to Jewell Main Street, now called Jewell Street in the NW portion of town (Old Jewell Junction north of the tracks). A back room was rented as a school with Wm. Anderson as the first teacher. In 1882 an independent district was organized and moved into a building south of the tracks (New Jewell) and faced Deckor Street as seen in the map below. It was used for the winter term of 1882-1883 again with Anderson as the teacher. In 1884 Howard Smith became the second instructor with the duties of teaching the upper grades. This building was across the street from where the Good Sheperd Catholic Church building is located today.
By 1890 a larger building was needed, and a whole block was bought two blocks west of the earlier school. A two-story brick structure was built. In 1892, the four year secondary course was offered, and in 1896 three students were graduated. This was located in the second block south of the old tracks (north on Division Street, between Edwards and Elm Streets).
This picture was supplied by Tina Johnson.
An addition to the building on the back or west side was constructed in 1905; it extended out on the north and south sides. This building lasted for another 20 years when another building was was made available.
Who graduated from Jewell High
- Early Years - 1910s - 1920s - 1930s - 1940s - 1950s - 1960s -
Supt. H. T. Holt - manual
training and science (succeeds E. G. Clark)
Mrs. H. T. Holt - principal of the high school (succeeds Miss Carpenter)
Miss Winterfield - English and mathematics (succeeds Miss Van Ness)
Miss Merryman - domestic science and history (succeeds Miss Maag)
Miss Johnson - 7th and 8th grades
Miss Hackett - 5th and 6th grades
Miss Courtis - 3rd and 4th grades (succeeds Mrs. Knudson)
Miss Ostrem - 2th and 3rd grades
Miss Wolford - 1st grade (succeeds Miss Cooper)
The total enrollment of the school is 214, with the following numbers in the various grades:
The first Annual Yearbook from
Jewell High School (named The Jewel) was published in 1921.
View a copy of that 1921 Yearbook.
The 1915 brick school is shown with the color red on this 1990 map of Jewell.
This page is from the 1924
Yearbook from Jewell High School.
It also included many advertisements from businesses in Jewell.
In 1925 when the Jewell Lutheran College was discontinued, the Jewell school district bought the entire layout, using the administrative building as the Jewell Public School building for upper grade students. So this became the next Jewell Public High School building.
These two photos are from the 1928 Jewell High School Yearbook
The Jewell Lutheran College gymnasium building had been used for Jewell High School games, but now was actually the Jewell Public School gym.