In 1899, the Jewell Methodists
(organized in 1883) built the Methodist Episcopal Church building
at the Northeast corner of King and Deckor Streets.
published in The Jewell Record on June 2, 1905.
Rev. J. L. DeWitt, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is a native of Ohio, receiving his education in the Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, Ohio, taking the A. B. course and graduated with the class of '99, which consisted of one hundred and thirteen members.
He and his wife went as missionaries under the M. E. Board to Rhodesia, South Africa, where he was superintendent of the Umtali Industrial Mission until his return, three years later, which was caused by the many attacks of Malarial fever. They returned home by way of the east coast, spending two weeks in Egypt and two weeks in Italy, visiting Rome and Naples, spending a week at each place, and arrived in New York in March, 1902.
They went south for their health in September, when Rev. DeWitt took charge of the Industrial Department of the Morristown Normal and Industrial College where they spent two school years before coming to his present work (in Jewell).
In 1920, the Methodist
and Congregational congregations joined and worshiped together
in the Congregational Church building.
The following news article was published July 27, 1938 in The Jewell Record:
Negotiations are being closed this week for a transfer of ownership of the Congregational Church property, lots and church building, to the local Federated Church of Jewell corporation.
When the Methodist Church and the Congregational Church joined together several years ago, organizing the Federated corporation, the church property was owned by the Congregational Church and the parsonage property was owned by the Methodist Church. Since then, the Federated corporation has purchased the parsonage property and now is similarly buying the church property. The Federated corporation originally was a consolidation of the Congregational and Methodist churches of Jewell; and to the federation the Christian Church of Jewell was included later, making the present Federated corporation a combination of the three former congregations.
Learn more about the Federated Church.