Claude V. Campbell
(This biography is from Lee's 1912 History of Hamilton County Iowa, volume 2)
Claude V. Campbell, proprietor and editor of the Jewell Record, was born in Story County, Iowa, on the 13th of December, 1882. He is the second in order of birth in a family of six, his parents being J. A. and Ada (Hall) Campbell, also natives of Story County. The father, who was born on the same farm as his son, devoted is energies to agricultural pursuits until 1896, when he withdrew from the work of the fields and went to Ames. There for a time he dealt in real estate but he subsequently engaged in the grain and coal business, which he is still following. The grandparents in both lines were homesteaders in Story County, with the progress and development of which the families have been actively identified for three generations.
Reared at home in the acquirement of his education, Claude V. Campbell attended the public schools of Ames. He was graduated from the high school with the class of 1900, and subsequently enrolled in the Iowa State College, from which institution he was awarded his degree in 1904. After leaving college he obtained a position as a reporter on the Webster City Journal, where he acquired a general knowledge of the newspaper business. From there he came to Jewell Junction and bought a half interest in the Record and two years later he bought out his partner, thus becoming sole proprietor of the paper. He subsequently extended the scope of his activities by the purchase of the Stanhope Mail and the Randall Roundabout, which he consolidated with the Record, maintaining a separate department for each.
In 1911 he added Kamrar to his circuit. Mr. Campbell is an active, enterprising man, as is evidenced by his paper, the columns of which heartily endorse every progessive movement and enthusiastically cooperate in promoting the welfare of the community. He possesses high standards of citizenship and, fully appreciating the power of the press in influencing public opinion, is absolutely fearless in his denunciation of wrong, but equally ready to commend good. His circulation list carries the names of fourteen hundred and fifty subscribers, and in connection with the publication of his paper he engages in job printing for which he is well equipped, his plant, valued at six thousand dollars, being more modern and complete than is usually found in a town of this size.
Mr. Campbell is a member of the Republican County Committee and the columns of his paper staunchly support the men and measures of this party. He was formerly identified with the Iowa National Guard and for three years held the office of second sergeant in Company C, Fifty-fifth Regiment. In his religious views he is a Lutheran and is affiliated with the Norwegian church of that denomination. Mr. Campbell possesses many admirable traits of character and is popular in local business and social circles, being numbered among the representative citizens of the town.
The biography printed above is from the following two pages of the 1912 Jesse W. Lee publication History of Hamilton County Iowa, Volume 2.
You will learn more about Claude Campell on our page about the Wilson Highway.