Jewell Historical Society
A Troop of Boy Scouts of America is formed in Jewell.
Click for Full Page
This news article was published May 4, 1916
on the front page of The Jewell Record.

(Click the article to view the entire front page.)


Eleven Jewell Boys With Rev. Norstrad As Scout Master Started Movement Friday Night.   All Boys Invited To Join


     Last Friday night a number of Jewell boys met at the home of Rev. Martin Norstad to take preliminary steps towards organizing a Boy Scouts troop in Jewell.   Eleven boys were present.

     There has been some talk among various interested people for some time in regard to organizing a Boy Scouts troop here, and many of the boys have frequently urged Rev. Norstad to organize a troop and to serve as Scout Master.   Several of the parents have also urged the matter.   Rev. Norstad finally consented to do so and the meeting last Friday evening was the result.

     Rev. Norstad is to be Scout Master and the following named gentlemen have been selected as Scout Council, as required by the rules of the organization:  Gilbert Knudson, E. G. Clark, M. J. Severson, F. N. Taylor, W. F. Tepler, Wm. Anderson, W. K. Jackson, S. Louis Ostrem, Magnus Johnson, and Theodore Jacobson.

     The eleven boys who attended the first organization meeting Friday night were:  Tenner Jacobson, Gifford  Rullestad, York Johnson, Stewart Sidenstucker, Donald Severson, Raymond Lear, Victor Norstad, Irving Andersen, and Bernard Peterson.   Under the rules of the national Boy Scouts organization, eight boys constitute a patrol, and a troop consists of any number of patrols up to four.   The Scout Master has charge of one troop.   The first named eight boys of the above list constitute the first patrol, and they chose Tenner Jacobson as their patrol leader and Gifford Rullestad as assistant patrol leader.   The other three boys, Arlin Thompson, Harold Christensen and Berard Peterson, will belong to the second patrol, of which Arling Thompson is leader.   If enough boys join, a full troop of four patrols will be organized.   If more than 32 boys join, a second troop will have to be organized with a Scout Master in charge of the second troop.

     An application has been sent to the National Council of Boy Scout of America asking for a charter.   The next meeting will not be held until the charter is secured.   In the meantime all other boys in Jewell who wish to join are urged to hand their names in to Scout Master Rev. Norstad, and they will also be able to be charter members.   Five more boys are needed to make up the second patrol, and it is hoped that enough will join to make a full troop of four patrols.

     To join the Boy Scouts it is necessary that a boy secure the permission of his parents.   He is also required to be a member in good standing of some Sunday School.   The Boy Scouts will have the regulation uniforms of the National Boy Scout organization of America, each boy will also have a Boy Scout badge, and they will have a fine big troop banner and banners or flags for each patrol.

     The Boy Scout is not a military organization in any sense of the word.  Each Boy Scout is required to sign the Scout oath which reads as follows:  "On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and to my country, and to obey the Scout law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight."   The Scout law requires a Boy Scout to be trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, cheerful, kind, thrifty, obedient, brave, clean and reverent.  The boys will be taught every manly virtue that will help to make them strong, clean, brave, well disciplined, manly, helpful, and self-reliant.   Given the training that the Boy Scout movement is calculated to give the boys of America, and given this training under the leadership of such men as their Scout Master, Rev. Norstad, and the men of the Scout Council named above, the boys of Jewell will without question of doubt be greatly benefited in many ways by the organization of the Boy Scout troop in Jewell.   Boys between the ages of 12 and 18 years are eligible to membership, and as many as care to do so are urged to become Boy Scouts.


This news article was published July 13, 1916
on the front page of The Jewell Record.


Mrs. C. A. Strong Offers To Build And
Equip Building For Jewell Troop
If Jewell People Will Buy
Them The Land


     Jewell troop No. 1, Boy Scouts of America, the troop numbering 24 boys recently organized in Jewell under the leadership of Scout Master, Rev. Norstad, and assistant Scout Master, Prof. Abrahamson, is to have a splendid home of their own before the year is over.   Present plans to this effect have been under consideration for the past two or three weeks and the project now appears to be a certainty.

     If the project goes through, as it is fully anticipated that it will, the Scouts of Jewell will have to thank for their good fortune Mrs. C. A. Strong, of California, and, aslo, the numerous public spirited citizens of Jewell.   And to the former, particularly, will the boys be very grateful, for it is Mrs. Strong who took the initiative in arousing interest among the Jewell people in the project and her individual contribution will equal or exceed that of all others put together.

     Mrs. Strong, who years ago resided in Jewell, in the early days of the town, has always maintained a deep interest in the welfare of the town, and has evidenced her interest in many very substantial ways.   Among other things, she has done a great deal in the way of improvements at Evergreen cemetery, building the two cement arches, cement curbings, flower beds, etc., and paid for and maintains the electrolier light at the town park.

     When Mrs. Strong came to Jewell a few weeks ago for her usual summer visit here, she at once took up with Scout Master Norstad the matter of doing something to help the Boy Scout movement in Jewell.   For years she has been prominently connected with the Red Cross of America, and from her experience in this work combined with her always deep interest in everything that helps the boys, she has become deeply interested in the Boy Scout movement.   She had learned of the organization of the Scout troop in Jewell and came to Jewell with a plan in mind to help the movement here.

     After investigating the situation, Mrs. Strong came to the conclusion that the thing the boys most need is a home of their own, including grounds and a building with appropriate equipment of all kinds for their work.   She made a proposition that if Jewell citizens would provide the grounds, of adequate size and convenient location, she would contribute the money to erect and equip the building.

     Rev. Norstad, Wm. Anderson, B. C. Hansen, Theodore Jacobson, and Gilbert Knudson, and others were interested and have been negotiating for the grounds.   Saturday evening the success of the venture became practically assured when these men made a contract with H. K. Gronbech for the purchase of his entire plot of ground the width of the town park and extending west from the town park to the west line of Mr Gronbech's land.   The town recently bought for park purposes from Mr. Gronbech the land from the present west line of the park west to Deckor St., the street south from H. G. Peterson's residence.   The land bought for the Scout extends west from this street to Division St., appoximately three acres.   The contract price for the land is $1,500.   The plan is to deed about one acre of the ground to the Boy Scouts and to hold the balance for other public uses sometime in the future.   It remains to raise the $1,500 to pay for the land by public subscription among the people of Jewell, but it is anticipated that not a great deal of difficulty will be experienced in raising the money.

     As soon as the money is raised to buy the land and the acre is deeded to the Scouts, Mrs. Strong will begin the erection and equipment of a building and has already deposited a check for one thousand dollars towards the cost of the building.

     The plan is to put up a large one story subtantial frame building with good floor suitable for basketball playing and other athletic activities of the Scouts, and equip it with gymnasium furnishings, etc., cabinets for the various Scout collections, etc.   Possibly a cement swimming pool will be constructed upon the grounds.   Mrs. Strong's contribution will be not less than one thousand dollars, as the Record understands the situation, and if the requirements are more will probably considerably exceed that sum.

     The Boy Scout Council, of ten men, will meet at the town hall Friday evening of this week to make plans for the building proposition.   This will be a very important meeting and it is urged that every member of the Council be present.

(Click the article below to view the entire
front page of the July 13, 1916 newspaper.)

Click for Full Page

(Published July 20, 1916)


Soliciting Committee Named To Get 
Money to Buy Land On Which
They Have Option For
Boy Scouts


    The local council of the Jewell troop of Boy Scouts held a meeting at the town hall Friday evening to discuss the proposed project of building a home for the Scouts, the project that, as announced in the Record last week, has been made possible through the generosity of Mrs. C. A. Strong who has contributed already a check for one thousand dollars toward a building and who has promised further financial support.

     At the meeting Scout Master Rev. Norstad, Supt. E. G. Clark, Gilbert Knudson, W. F. Templer, and W. Anderson were name as a building committee.   Theodore Jacobson, M. J. Severson, Gilbert Knudson, Ed Gastren, and Will Loder were named as a soliciting committee.   The Scout council has secured an option on a tract of land belonging to H. K. Gronbech, located west of the town park, the cost price of which is $1,500.   The soliciting committee plans to start work at once raising funds to purchase this land.   And as soon as the ground is secured the building committee will start the work of erecting a fine home for the Boy Scouts.


( Published in the Jewell Record on August 10, 1916)

Boy Scouts Are In Camp

      The Jewell Troop No. 1, Boy Scouts of America, are in encampment this week at Lakin's Grove, north of Ellsworth.   They went into encampment Wednesday morning, and expect to remain several days.   Scout Master Rev. M. Norstad, is with the boys and in charge of the camp.

(News article published in the Jewell Record on August 10, 1916)
Option On Gronbech Land Is Extended To August 22nd.
Committee Hopes To Have Money Raised Then


     The movement, which has been underway the past three weeks, for the purchase of land from H. K. Gronbech to be deeded to Jewell troop No. 1, Boy Scouts of America, has made fair progress and promises to be a success.

     This movement for the purchase of this land was instigated by Mrs. C. A. Strong of California, when she was here on her annual visit about three weeks ago.   Being very greatly interested in the Boy Scout movement and wishing to assist the Jewell troop in a substantial way, she made the very liberal offer of erecting and equippping a suitable building for the exclusive use of the Boy Scouts, contingent upon the Jewell citizens purchasing and deeding to the Jewell troop suitable grounds of adequate size and convenient location.   The land decided upon for this purpose is owned by H. K. Gronbech and lays immediately west of the new part of the city park recently purchased by the town.

     The option on the land which the Jewell citizens contemplate buying expired last Saturday, but Mr. Gronbech very kindly extended the time to August 22nd, by which time the full amount of the necessary amount will undoubtedly be pledged, enabling the committee to conplete the purchase of the land and commence the erection of the new building.

     The committee in charge of the raising of the funds for the purchase of this land announce that they have secured pledges for about half of the amount.   Those who have not yet pledged any amount for this very worthy movement, should do so at one and hlep to make the project a big success.  The committee in charge of securing pledges consists of Theo. Jacobson, Gilbert Knudson, M. J. Severson, E. E. Gastren, and Will Loder.

   (August 24, 1916)

Every Man and Woman in Jewell and its Vicinity Urged to Attend
A Big Mass Meeting Monday Night at Town Hall


     The option which had been secured from Mr. H. K. Gronbech for the purchase of land for the Boy Scouts expired Tuesday of this week and only 65% of the amount had at that time been pledged.   The option had originally been secured on the 7th of July for 30 days and an extension had been secured until August 22nd, but the committee soliciting money had met with rather poor success.

     Accordingly Monday night it was decided to call a meeting to be held at the town hall and as many as could be reached in the short time were asked to attend, probably four or five dozen.   Only 14 men turned out for the meeting, not a very encouraging showing.

     The matter was talked over Tuesday morning by the handful of men who attended the meeting and a committee was named to ask Mr. Gronbech for another extension of the option.   Rev. Norstad, J. L. Larson, and Atty. S. Louis Ostrem were the members of this committee and were successful in securing an extension for the option for another 30 days.

     It was also decided to call a general new meeting of all of the citizens of Jewell and vicinity to meet with the Jewell Commercial Club at its regular meeting next Monday night.   The families as well as the men are urged to attend this meeting, and all citizens, not only of Jewell, but also of the entire community are urged to be present.   It is hoped that the town hall will be crowded to its capacity so that the question can be thoroughly discussed and so that it may be found out whether or not the people of this community favor or oppose this project.   Rev. Norstad, who is Scout Master, will be present and will explain in detail the purpose of this movement and what it is hoped to accomplish.

     As has been previously announced, Mrs. C. A. Strong has deposited one thousand dollars in the bank in Jewell to be used in erecting a Scout building, conditional upon the people of the community buying a tract of ground from Mr. Gronbech and deeding the land to the Scouts.   There is about an acre in the tract and it will cost $???.   Mr. Gronbech will sell this tract only, or if the people wish to do that, he will sell the entire tract, about three acres for $1,500.   If the entire tract were bought, the one acre would be deeded to the Scouts and the balance held in trust to be used later for other purposes, a part of it, possibly, for a hospital.

   The best way in which it can be determined definitely whether the people of this community are in favor of buying the one acre for the Scouts, or in favor of buying the entire tract, or are not in favor of buying any of the land, is to get the people together in a big mass meeting so that their wishes can be determined.   It is for this purpose that this mass meeting is called.   Every citizen of Jewell, men and women alike, and the people of the surrounding country as well, are urged to attend the Commercial Club meeting at the town hall at eight o'clock next Monday night, August 28th.   Come out to this mass meeting, everybody, whether you favor or oppose this project, so that the sentiment of the community can be determined.

Boy Scout Building Project Assured
(Published September 21, 1916)
     The committee in charge of raising funds for the proposed Boy Scout building have been busy the past week and now have $715 pledged for the project.   The price for the acre of land asked by Mr. Gronbech is $840 and the committee has enough of the remaining $125 needed in sight so that the project is now an assured certainty.   The option on the land expires Friday night of this week and the committee will close a deal with Mr. Gronbech for the one acre of land for the Scout building.
Mrs. Strong Buys Rest of Gronbech's Three Acre Tract
(Published October 5, 1916)

     Although the Boy Scout local committee succeeded in raising only the $800 required to purchase the one acre tract of ground west of the park from H. K. Gronbech that is required for the use of the Scouts, the town of Jewell is not going to lose the balance of that tract of ground after all.   Mrs. C. A. Strong, who was the one to start the Boy Scout building proposition and who has given one thousand dollars towards the building conditioned upon the people of Jewell giving the money for the purchase of the land, has now decided to give the additional money necessary to buy the balance of the ground.   The publisher of the Record, after some preliminary correspondence with her, received a telegram from Mrs. Strong Sunday instructing him to issue her check for fifty dollars to Mr. Gronbech to apply on the tract of land, and stating that she would forward a draft for the balance as soon as the deed and abstract of title are ready.   Mr. Gronbech has now sold for public purposes all of his land west from the town park, the entire width of the park north and south.   The town of Jewell first bought the tract west to Decker St. for park purposes, about three acres of land.   The town has this land on contract and will get a deed within a short time.   Mr. Gronbech gives the land sixty feet wide for the extension south of Decker St. as far south as the south line of the park and extending along what will now be the west line of the park.

     There remained approximately three acres of land extending west from this extension of Decker St., and of this tract the Boy Scouts have bought the east one-third.   They will erect a building and equip it with gymnasium equipment, etc.   Citizens of Jewell and vicinity contributed the $840 required to buy the ground, Mrs. Strong gave one thousand dollars towards the building and has promised more if needed.

   And now Mrs. Strong is giving the $660 required to buy the balance of the tract.   What this land wil eventually be used for is of course uncertain at this time.   Mrs. Strong undoubtedly has some public project in mind and what it may be only the future will develop.

     This latest gift from Mrs. Strong adds further to the already large debt of gratitude that the people of Jewell owe Mrs. Strong.   Her public gifts to Jewell have extended over a long period of years and have been very liberal and generous.   In the early days of the town her husband, then in business here, ranked as one of the leading public spirited men of the town, and long time residents of Jewell who are familiar with the early day history of the town tell how he then gave freeely toward every public purpose.   After his death Mrs. Strong moved from Jewell to California, but her husband's body rested in the cemetery here and her interests have never forsaken her former home.  Through all the years she has been generous to Jewell and in recent years her public gifts to the town have been very large.   By her contributions to various public purposes in Jewell, Mrs. Strong is erecting monuments of affection and gratitude to the memory of herself and of her husband that will forever be cherished by the citizens of Jewell.


(Published October 19, 1916)

H. G. Peterson will start Work at Once Building New Boy Scouts Home costing $935.

   The building committee in charge of plans for the new Boy Scouts home that is to be built in Jewell held a meeting Monday afternoon and let the contract for the erection of the building.   The Scout home wil be 24 x 48 feet, 12 feet high to the eaves, whith a high peaked roof, sloping from all four sides and affording a high ceiling for gymnasium work.   The building is to be of clay blocks, stuccoed over of the outside.   It will be well lighted with the entrance and two clusters of large windows on the east, two large windows on the south, and one large window on the north.   The contract price is $935.   H. G. Peterson got the contract and work is to be started at once.

Work Begun On Boy Scout Building
(Published October 26, 1916)

     The members of the Boy Scouts organization were all working like beavers last Saturday afternoon helping to unload the sand that is being used in the construction of their new Home.   Contractor Peterson has started work this week erecting the building and its construction will be pushed just as fast as possible so as to have the building enclosed before the weather gets too cold.

(Published in Jewell Record Januay 12, 1922)

     The Jewell Boy Scouts need a stove in their Scout house to keep them warm these cold evenings.   If they cannot get one they will be compelled to disband until warm weather returns.   And under the spledid leadership of Scout Master, Rev. McKinley, the boys are doing so nicely that it would see to be a shame for them to have to disband now.

     The Scout house in now heated only by the fire place and that does not furnish heat enough this cold weather.   A second hand stove can be bought and installed, including fixing the chimney for the stove pipe, for about fifteen dollars.   Now who is going to provide the fifteen dollars?

     Members of the Scout Council are thinking that perhaps if the fact is made public that the Boy Scouts are needing this little aid perhaps there are a lot of other Good Scouts in Jewell who are good friends of the boys and will chip in a dollar apiece to buy the stove - which will cost twelve dollars.   Perhaps a couple brick layers will be willing to do the chimney work as their contribution to the good cause.   Anybody who wants to get in on this good work can do so by calling at the Record office any day this week and leaving a contribution.   Names of the givers are to be published next week.

(Published January  19, 1922)

     The Jewell Boy Scouts will not be compelled to close up their quarters during the rest of the winter.   In response to the statement published in last week's Record, that the boys require a stove to heat the Scout house, Mr. B. J. Knudson called the following day and advised us that he has a stove that he will have no need of after he moves into his new office location in the Syder building, probably next week, and he tendered the stove to the Scouts.   The gift was very gladly accepted and will soon be installed so that the Scouts may continue to meet.   Several good scouts in town offered to give a dollar to help buy a stove, but Mr. Knudson's kind gift made it unnecessary.

Boy Scouts of Jewell will celebrate 12th Anniversary at Public Meeting
at their Scout House on Friday evening of this week, at 7:30 o'clock sharp
(Published in Jewell Record February 9, 1922 - View article)


     Following is the program which will be given at the Scout House, Friday, February 10, at 7:30 o'clock:

Call to order
Roll Call
Demonstration of First Aid by Assistant Scout Master, H. M. Kinzer
Exhibition Boxing, by Assistant Scout Master, Otto Fenton
Athletics, by Assistant Scout Master, L. M. Jacobson
Address, "What Scouting has done for the Boys of the World", Scout Master G. A. McKinley
Administering Oath to Honorary Members

     The meeting will be held at the Scout House.   There are seats for about sixty visitors.   Parents of the Scouts, older boys who have belonged to Scout Troops, and others interested in the boys are invited to attend this meeting.

     This week, February 8th to 14th, has been set aside as the week for a nation-wide celebration of the date of the founding of the Boy Scout movement in America, and the event is to be properly celebrated by the Jewell Boy Scout troop.   A public gathering will be held at the Scout House Friday night of this week, February 10th, at 7:30 o'clock sharp, and everybody in this community who is interested in the Boys of the community, is invited to be present.   There is room at the Scout House for a good sized audience and it is hoped that every chair will be occupied.   Show the Scouts of Jewell that you are interested in them.

     The program of the evening will include a brief talk by the Scout Master, Rev. G. A. McKinley, explaining the plans and purposes of the Scout movement.   There will be another brief talk by Gilbert Knudson, president of the local Scout Council, appealing for local support of the Scout work.   The three assistant Scout Masters, Otto Fenton, H. M. Kinzer, and Dr. L. M. Jacobson, will each have charge of a squad of Scouts putting on demonstrations of Scout work that will be of interest to spectators.   The Scouts will give the Scout Oath and Scout Law, and Carl P. Knudson, President of the Jewell Community Club, will be received into membership in the Scout organization as honorary members.   It will be a program of real interest to all and people of this community should evidence their interest in the boys by their presence.

The Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best - 
1.  To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law
2.  To help other people at all times
3.  To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Scout Law

1. A Scout is trustworthy.     A Scout's honor is to be trusted.   If he were to violate his honor by telling a lie, or by cheating, or by not doing exactly a given task, when trusted on his honor, he may be directed to hand over his Scout badge.

2. A Scout is loyal.      He is loyal to all to whom loyalty is due: his Scout leader, his home, and his parents and country.

3. A Scout is helpful.    He must be prepared at any time to save life, help injured persons, and share the home duties.   He must do at least one good turn to somebody every day.

4. A Scout is friendly.     He is a friend to all and a brother to every other scout.

5. A Scout is courteous.     He is polite to all, expecially to women, children, old people, and the weak and helpless.   He must not take pay for being helpful or courteous.

6. A Scout is kind.      He is a friend to people and animals.   He will not kill nor hurt any living creature needlessly, but will strive to save and protect all harmless life.

7. A Scout is obedient.     He obeys his parents, scoutmaster, patrol leader, and all other duly constituted authorities.

8. A Scout is cheerful.      He smiles whenever he can.   His obedience to orders is prompt and cheery.   He never shirks nor grumbles at hardships.

9. A Scout is thrifty.       He does not wantonly destroy property.   He works faithfully, wastes nothing, and makes the best use of his opportunities.   He saves his money so that he may pay his own way, be generous to those in need, and helpful to worthy objects.   He may work for pay, but must not receive tips for courtesies or good turns.

10. A Scout is brave.     He has the courage to face danger in spite of fear, and to stand up for the right against the coaxings of friends or the jeers or threats of enemies, and defeat does not down him.

11. A Scout is clean.      He keeps clean in body and thought, stands for clean speech, clean sport, clean habits, and travels with a clean crowd.

12. A Scout is reverent.     He is reverent toward God.   He is faithful in his religious duties, and respects the conveictions of others in matters of custom and religion.

How Scouts Will Celebrate Their 12th Anniversary

     This Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America is unique.   It is the twelfth, and that is the minimum age at which boys may join the Movement as tenderfoot scouts.   So the Movement itself is a tenderfoot.   Every Scouting community has its program though they are not all alike.   But all of them will include the solemn reaffirmation of the Oath and Law by every scout at public meetings held some day during the anniversary week, February 8th to 14th.   This annual ceremony will take place at troop meetings or at public meetings, whatever local authorities arrange.   It will be a nationwide observance of the opening of Anniversary Week.   Every scout will be attired in the uniform of his troop, looking his best, and with his face set toward high achievement in Scouting in the year ahead.

Our Largest Uniformed Organization

     Not even exepting the Army and Navy combinded, the Boy Scouts of America is the largest uniformed organization in America.   Twelve years ago the Boy Scouts of America was only an idea.   Today there are 403,102 scouts nationally as members.   In addition there are 35,671 scoutmasters and assistant scoutmasters.   Besides these, there are more than 84,000 men serving voluntarily in other capacities - troop committeemen members of local councils, commissioners, members of courts of honor.   In addition to these there are between five and six hundred men giving full time professionally to the supervision and extension of the movement.   And there are between six and seven hundred other men representing all parts of the Untited States, who serve the Movement voluntarily as members of the National Council - a total of approximately 523,000 boys and men.   This is the organization that is celebrating its 12th Anniversary this week.   Nearly every community in the United States is represented.   The Boy Scouts of America was incorporated February 8th, 1910.   The name, insignia and uniform of the Movement are protected by a special Chapter of Congress granted June 15th, 1916.

(Published in Jewell Record February 16, 1922)

     The Jewell Boy Scouts observed the 12th anniversary of the establishment of the Scout movement in America by holding a public program at the Boy Scout house last Friday evening.   The weather was stormy and cold and a very small crowd turned out, but the Scouts put on a fine program for those who were there. 

     Ten of the Scouts under the direction of assistant Scout Master H. M. Kinzer, gave a fine demonstration of first aid work that very adequately showed that the boys have gained some valuable training in that line of work.   After watching them demonstrate, the writer feels certain that in an emergency requiring first aid help we would much prefer to risk ourself in the hands of those Scouts than in the hands of an average adult. 

     Asst. Scout Master Otto Fenton led out some of the Scouts that he has trained who put on a couple of interesting boxing exhibitions.   Scout Master McKinley and Gilbert Kudson, president of the Scout Council, each gave an interesting talk on Scouting.   Carl P. Miller, mayor of Jewell, and I. H. Knudson, president of the Community Club, were received into membership as honorary Scouts and went through the formal ceremony involved.


This news article was published  by the
Jewell Record
on September 8, 1927:


     The opportunity is now presented to re-organize a Boy Scout troop in Jewell.   The Scout organization has been inactive for some time, due to the fact that there was nobody available to act as Scout Master.   Now Rev. Underwood, pastor of the Christian Church, has consented to take that place.   His work will make it possible for him to meet with the Scouts once a week, on Saturaday nights.

     Accordingly, if there is in Jewell and vicinity, a sufficient number of boys, between the ages of 12 and 18, desirous of taking up Boy Scout work, a troop will be organized.   Boys wanting to join should leave word at the Record office during the coming week, not later than Saturday of next week.   Whether or not a troop will be organized depends upon the number of boys reporting.



(This article published March 21, 1974.)

Good Turn Day starts Saturday, March 20

     Prairie Gold Area Council Boy Scouts of America, Cub and Boy Scouts of Districts 2, 3, and 4 will conduct their annual Good Turn Day material drive for the handicapped workers at Wall Street Mission Goodwill Industries commencing Saturday, March 30.   This nationwide Good Turn Day is one of the highlights of scouting activity in Jewell, Ellsworth and Randall.

     Scout organizations participating are those in District 2, 3, and 4 of Prairie Gold Area Council.   This manner of handling is a change from the practice followed in the past.   It was made necessary by the enlargement of the area covered by the Council.

     Cubmaster Donald Romp, Jewell; Scoutmaster Alan Spohnheimer, Randall; and a representative from Ellsworth will lead the Cub Scouts with the help of Den Mothers, who will deliver an empty Goodwill Scout Bag to every home in these towns of Saturday, March 30.

    One week later on Saturday, April 6, the Boy Scouts with Scout Master Spohnheimer in charge, will return to the homes to collect the filled bags and boxes of clothing and other items for storage at a central collection station from which the Goodwill trucks will pick them up.

Click to enlarge

This next news article was published November 17, 1977:


Click to enlarge

The next news article was published November 22, 1979:

This next photo is from the 1980 Jewell Centennial Book.

Click to enlarge

Some Scouts from Jewell's Troop 20 stand in front of the Jewell Scouthouse.

Click to enlarge

Troop 520 goes camping nearby in Hamilton County.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to see the next (of the 7 pages) showing Scouting in Jewell.